NX300 firmware hack to remove video recording limitations

Started Nov 9, 2015 | Discussions thread
OP NewToCameras Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: NX300 firmware hack to remove video recording limitations

Similar but different enough that some things still need to be worked out before work on the NX1 and NX500 can really get going.

I haven't taken a look at the NX500 quite yet, but I did poke around the main NX1 camera app earlier. The NX1 and NX500 probably are more similar to each other than NX300 is to either of them, but there are still similarities in the code that I think would allow me to figure out how they work. The very first thing I tried to find was where the 30 minute movie time limit was. Poking around the NX300 first helped me to know more or less what I was looking for, but it's definitely different. To add on to that, the NX1 uses a different CPU, so I'm seeing a few new assembly instructions that I haven't seen at all in the NX300 code. I'd have to read up on those, because I'm seeing them quite frequently. So no, they're not directly translatable, but they're similar enough that familiarity with one probably helps in working on the other.

Right now, I'm still trying to figure out how to safely repackage the firmware. I managed to extract the root filesystem of the NX1 from the firmware file, and look a look around before copying the camera app elsewhere to examine it. That part was easy, the challenge now is making sure that I have everything just right when it comes to putting it all together again. I think I do, but I still have no idea what an 8-byte string in the metadata is for. Might be important, or it might be useless. That's why I'm trying to get an older copy of the firmware to see if there are any differences between them.

NewToCameras's gear list:NewToCameras's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Taffy
MOD Taffy
pt5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow