NX300 firmware hack to remove video recording limitations

Started Nov 9, 2015 | Discussions thread
OP NewToCameras Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: NX300 firmware hack to remove video recording limitations

Speaking of which, I took a look at the firmwares for the NX500 and the NX1. The firmware's in a similar, but different format than the NX300. The image for the root filesystem for the NX500 and NX1 are compressed, I believe using a tizen tool called mic. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to figure out how to safely unpack the root filesystem, make changes, then repackage it all together. The big question is, if I ever get around to modding those firmwares, who's going to be the brave person to risk their $700+ or $1500+ camera by flashing a firmware? AFAIK no one else has documented the steps to safely unpacking and repackaging the firmwares on those cameras. The process isn't completely unlike the NX300, but it's different enough that there's still a few things that need to be figured out.

If you happen to have one of the older firmwares for the NX1 or NX500, it would be very helpful if I could get a copy. I tried to look on Samsung's website, but they only offer the latest versions. If they offer the older versions, then it's really hard to find, cause I had no luck doing so. Anyway, if I had a copy of some of the older versions of those firmwares, it could potentially help to figure out the format of the final firmware image. Everything is very similar to the NX300 firmware, except I can't figure out the purpose of 8 bytes that are present in the headers of the NX1 and NX500 firmwares. I don't know how important they are, so if I can compare that section of the file with the older versions I could potentially figure out if that section is somehow important or not.

NewToCameras's gear list:NewToCameras's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Taffy
MOD Taffy
pt5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow