Started Apr 7, 2013 | User reviews thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
kkardster
kkardster Senior Member • Posts: 6,892
Re: COMPARING SUPER ZOOM BRIDGE CAMERAS OR WHY I BOUGHT THE FZ200

Jon_T wrote:

kkardster wrote:

Fred Hanselmann wrote:

Thanks for your write up on the FZ200. Your review is a few years old at this point, but it's given me some things to think about.

I am searching for a bridge camera and have been considering the following:

Nikon Coolpix P900
Nikon Coolpix P610
Sony DSC-HX400v
Canon SX60 HS

Finding reliable real world reviews and information has been very difficult.

I'm a hobby photographer at best currently. I'm looking for a decent versatile camera that has the capability of taking very good photographs both up close and at distance. Nature, concerts, NASCAR races, family events, vacations, etc.

All that being said, I'm now considering the FZ200. I'm also contemplating the FZ1000, however it's a bit more than I'd like to spend. Also not sure 400mm is enough zoom.

The FZ1000 with its bigger sensor and more MP allows it essentially match the FZ200's constant f/2.8 lens and its greater optical reach to 600mm EFL while beating it at shorter focal lengths, so I'd actually count this as a plus for the FZ1000 - especially when you factor in all the new FZ1000 features. The only plus for the FZ200 would be the ability to add a teleconverter to extend its reach....

Additional note:
With the FZ1000 the 10MP resolution setting will allow you to use the Extended Optical Zoom (EZ) for 562mm focal equivalent f/4.0, and overall IQ will be comparable to the FZ200 10.5MP with the 3:2 aspect ratio. Hence I have not used the FZ200 much since purchase of the FZ1000.

Good point. One must keep in mind that the smaller-sensored cameras use a native 4:3 aspect ratio sensor while the 1" sensor used in Sony and Panasonic cameras use a 3:2 sensor.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
LJS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow