what settings should I print at?

Started Oct 30, 2015 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Knoxis
Knoxis Contributing Member • Posts: 628
what settings should I print at?

Hi guys,

I shoot with an Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mk II, which has 16.1MP.

I was recently lucky enough to get a series of my portraits chosen to be put up for display at a local gallery. I need to make a decision on how large I want to pint.

I would like to know how large I can print a 16.1MP image.

I've heard before that for printing, you need at least 300PPI, but then I also read that as you print larger, people stand further away to view it. At 20"x15" (as my camera shoots in 4:3 ratio), I calculate that I would be printing at 230PPI. A 20"x15" print is quite a large size, in my opinion, and as such I think people would be standing a short distance from it and as such 230PPI is acceptable.

What adds even more to the confusion is that I saw a video posted here on the DPReview forums from Panasonic USA where they printed a 5 foot image from a GH3 (also 16MP). I did some calculations from that print and it comes out to be roughly 77PPI.

How do you guys recommend I go about doing this? I would like to stick to at least 20"x15", and also have good enough quality so it doesn't appear pixelated from about 50cm away.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Photos are like memories that you give to a friend.

Knoxis's gear list:Knoxis's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow