Old pre-AI 50mm f1.4 Nikkor on A7sII

Started Oct 21, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Paul Anderegg Regular Member • Posts: 123
Old pre-AI 50mm f1.4 Nikkor on A7sII

Did some playing around with my new A7sII with a $50 Nikon pre-AI 50mm f1.4 prime I got on eBay.  Below is what the lens looks like (still frame grabs from 4K raw video) at f1.4 top, and one click down at f2.0 bottom.  Quite a difference!  f2.8 got rid of the last tiny bits of blue/purple bright light fringing, which I found acceptable at f2.0 for my uses.  This pre-AI lens is of the modern looking variety with the rubber focus ring.......OMG, the dampening/smoothness of old school manual focus is sooooo nice!

The softening and CA at wide open is very apparent, so I thought I would put this somewhere where people looking at these economical lenses could see how to use them for best results.  The shots below are not crops, just made two small preview boxes of the full frames and did another small screen grab with them together just to show the effect.  Should mention those are 200mm equivalent with the 50mm + 4x digital extender.

Leica SL 50mm F1.4 Sony a7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow