What if Ricoh bought all Samsung's mirrorless technology?

Started Sep 19, 2015 | Discussions thread
Alex Sarbu Veteran Member • Posts: 9,343
Re: What if Ricoh bought all Samsung's mirrorless technology?

anthony mazzeri wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Can't you see it? Ricoh without Pentax would continue to be a tiny little camera company playing well under the radar.

And that would be good, they would have continued making great cameras.

It would be bad, because Ricoh was losing money with the GXRs; and I wouldn't assume Ricoh was willing to lose money indefinitely. Great cameras maybe, but too niche to support an imaging division.

The GRD led to the GXR which led to the GR, which could have led to a mirrorless system like the Fuji and Sony fixed lens models led to their mirrorless versions. Which isn't wishful thinking or dreaming at all as these two other companies have shown it's a natural progression.

That means Ricoh pumping lots of money into a money-losing division, with no guarantee that they would succeed.

FTR, Olympus barely made into black and there are rumors about Samsung exiting the camera business. It's easy to dream about new mirrorless systems which instantly become successful, and another thing to make it happen.

But nope, all Ricoh cameras bar one got killed stone dead by the acquisition of Pentax which is doing exactly what it was doing before Ricoh, making DSLRs and the Q, with really nowt to do with Ricoh cameras at all. There's not even been even a hint of Ricoh firmware appearing in any Pentax camera so far. This is what everyone was expecting, even the DPR article writers at the time, so why is that?

The GXRs were losing money, niche products with few buyers. The GR was a success (though still low volume).

There's some merging of Ricoh and Pentax technologies, for example the Clarity Enhancement function from the K-S2 is a Ricoh technology. It seems an extremely slow process, though it must be very difficult - e.g. the hardware and code base being so different, that it would be a nightmare to establish an uniform code base for Ricoh and Pentax-branded cameras.

So in effect, Ricoh cameras were doing way better before buying Pentax which has instigated the end of Ricoh cameras plural. Just one camera now, like the last of a species. After the half-hearted GR II, if they don't make a GR III now then the Ricoh firmware will cease to exist. It won't ever appear in any Pentax camera so it'll be dead.

As I already said several times, the Ricoh camera division was losing money. Can you call that "doing way better"?

In hindsight buying Pentax was the worse thing that could have happened to Ricoh cameras. What's the difference if they exit the business after a launching failed mirrorless system, or they are exiting now after launching nothing. I'd prefer the former.

I'd prefer them to succeed. I'm amazing that you'd rather see them fail in a last futile attempt...

NB. I don't include the Theta and the waterproofs as at this point they are just consumer P&S varieties which come and go at the whim of the fickle market so are not part of any long term camera system discussion.

-- hide signature --

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow