From D5200 to D7200 or...?

Started Oct 18, 2015 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Escape Regular Member • Posts: 417
From D5200 to D7200 or...?

I've had my D5200 for about 2.5 years now. I've been somewhat unsatisfied with it due to slight AF back focusing issue, when using optical viewfinder. It focuses fine when using live view, but live view is so slow, it is practically useless when shooting small children, which is what I often shoot these days.

I sent the camera and all my lenses to Nikon service, but they just returned it saying it's all "within spec."

Another issue I'm having is images are soft when shooting at max zoom with my Nikon 55-300 lens, but that may just be the lens' fault. Not really sure.

Anyway, would moving up to D7200 make sense in my case? Size wise, it's not a lot bigger, which is good, but it does have AF fine tuning, which might help me with my AF focusing issues. It would allow me to keep all my existing lenses, too.

Alternatively, I was pondering just going in a different direction and getting a mirrorless system, such as Sony A6000 (or whatever its successor is going to be). I've heard the AF in live view is pretty good on these, while having smaller size. Not hiding your face behind the viewfinder is actually a plus when trying to grab small kid's attention. Alas, I'd have to buy new lenses, too... but the A6000 with a couple of lenses still costs less than a D7200 body.

Anyone made a switch from something like D5200? Why did you switch and what did you switch to, and how do you like it? I want to read about people's experiences...

Thanks!

Escape's gear list:Escape's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C
Nikon D5200 Nikon D7200 Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow