Workflow when travelling with a tablet for backup

Started Oct 5, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 19,870
Workflow when travelling with a tablet for backup

Currently I use an old, very cheap, netbook for backing up and reviewing images when travelling.  It has enough HD capacity for any trip that I am likely to take and it runs FastStone which is adequate for all my reviewing needs.  I don't now do any editing while travelling after a Galapagos trip where I spent every night editing images.  Now I leave all the editing, except obvious deletions, until I get back.  I don't clear my used memory cards until I have copied everything onto my desktop when I get home and backed it up. Then I reformat the memory cards and clear the netbook's HD.

My wife has an iPad and I have a very cheap, small android tablet which is only used for controlling various music streaming devices.  I have never used either for backing up images.

I think that now is the time to dump the netbook and just take a single tablet for backup and reviewing images as well as normal e-mail and internet use.  I probably need an absolute maximum of 100GB for backup and am quite happy backing up onto USB memory sticks or SD cards.  I shoot raw only and, although I would occasionally like to review an image at full resolution, reviewing the embedded JPEG is OK.  Conversion to JPEG might be useful but as a last resort I can convert in camera.

I would be grateful for any recommendations on what tablet, accesories and software to get and what workflow to use for backing up.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow