Upgrading Canon 5D2 to Sony A7RII?

Started Sep 20, 2015 | Discussions thread
l_d_allan
l_d_allan Veteran Member • Posts: 5,093
Re: added the A7RmkII

///M wrote:

I don't think of the A7RmkII as a replacement to my Canon gear, but a replacement for certain applications, primarily landscape, portrait, street, and video. It has that medium format look in these applications, the DR really makes the IQ stand out above other cameras.

Overall, this "Canon defector" is pleased with the a7Rii to augment my Canon 6d (and backup 5d2). I had high expectations, and the a7Rii has met or exceeded them.

There is a learning curve to achieve the same level of competence with focusing and other issues that I had with the 6d and its admittedly primitive AF.

There is additional complexity due to gaining familiarity with a FotodioX adapter and the quirks it has with my Canon EF lenses. I have the Sony FE 28mm f2 and FE 55mm f1.8 native lenses.

I do miss MagicLantern and RAW based Auto-ETTR/blinkies/histogram.

I find myself using the a7Rii when I can work slowly and deliberately. I'll use the 6d at events where there is more action. I anticipate gaining more proficiency with the a7Rii focus capabilities so that it will be my primary camera for pretty much everything, but that may be a while longer.

l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +27 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow