A6000 Firmware Updater version 2.0 process variation

Started Sep 21, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Davi7d777
Davi7d777 Regular Member • Posts: 315
A6000 Firmware Updater version 2.0 process variation

I just had trouble running the A6000 Firmware Updater for version 2.0. Noticed there are lots of threads on updating issues and read some of them. Instead of tacking the below onto one of those threads, will post this on a new thread. Performed this on a Windows Vista 64 bit with all the service pack updates that is similar to a Windows 7 machine.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=ILCE6000&upd_id=10403&os_group_id=5

When I ran the update software it did not go exactly as shown on the above page. If someone else gets stuck like I did below, one will need to diverge from the so-called instructions and the below could help.

At step 9 where the Firmware Updater window shows Reset the camera, I selected the remove hardware icon that I know was correctly for the camera connection. At the time the camera was displaying the text Reset with a button next to it. The instructions on the above page does not say to actuate that so I did not.

After a delay the Updater window changed and said the camera was not yet ready. Suspected I needed to select that Reset button to actually cause the reset so did so and immediately the camera LCD screen went dark and stayed so. After awhile the Updater timed out again and I'm thinking sh!t what I don't want to do is hose my camera firmware during the update process and end up with dead hardware that is unrecoverable! So next gambled removing the USB cable despite the instructions saying not to in a few places. Camera remained dead despite having its power switch on. I turned off its power about 10 seconds, reconnected the USB cable, and powered back on the camera.

The Updater window then recognized the camera was ready and moved to step 11 at Run the update. I selected Next and the update began. After Updater completed a window popped up on my desktop indicating it was installing a device driver that meant the camera had come back to life. I declined to select the Finish button until the camera showed some life. The screen was still dark initially but after a half minute the

www.sony.net/pm for your PC software with an OK button

appeared that had showed early during this process also after performing the USB mass storage operation. Then selected Finish and the Updater window disappeared. Back on my camera selected the OK button and the camera switched into normal shooting mode. I turned off power then back on and it came up normally. Went into the Menu with the CAR icon 6 and selected the Version function that displayed the camera firmware was indeed now at 2.0 so the operation was complete.

-- hide signature --

David

Davi7d777's gear list:Davi7d777's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot ELPH 190 IS Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +9 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow