The Mini Beast- Magical Canon, Build like a tank ,feels like a tank, Performs like a tank

Started Sep 18, 2015 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Arpit Agrawal
Arpit Agrawal Junior Member • Posts: 25
The Mini Beast- Magical Canon, Build like a tank ,feels like a tank, Performs like a tank

Some pixel peepers look at a lens and only talk about sharpness. I being a hobbyist photographer also like to take sharp images but at times it is not always about sharpness.Some times its about the perspective you get, sometimes its about the composition, sometimes its about a unique look which you can only achieve by a certain lens.So i feel to compare Image quality there are lot parameters not only the sharpness.

Once in a while you test a lens and you get blown away. That is when you start seeing this world differently through this Lens. The 85L is one such gem. It changed my perspective towards photography. It made me move completely away from Zooms to Primes. It made me to shoot wide open to get a 3d popping bokeh. If you a buy a 1.2 lens you would want to shoot at 1.2 if you are not doing so and always stopping it at 5.6 or above for a perfect picture, you are better of 70-200 or other lenses.

To be really honest ,It made me to fall in love with the photos it delivered and Fall in love with photography more and more. I strongly recommend this to anyone who loves portraits. There are many photographers out there who have complained about AF speed. I would say it is little slow but not such that you will complain about it.At the end of the day its a portrait lens which people mostly will use it for.For faster AF go for 135L for outdoors.

Lets start with build ,It is made like a tank, feels like a tank and shoots like a tank. Comparing this with 50L the bokeh is even pleasing and sharpness is tad better wide open. While it comes at a cost of some chromatic aberration but who care when you can optain a whole new level of bokeh. I used to own a 85 1.8 and it easily used to stand agains my 70-200 f2.8 but after using this it blows the 85 1.8 away.

I would blindly recommend it to anyone who has love for portraits. If budget is constraint i would suggest to look for 135L.

Arpit Agrawal's gear list:Arpit Agrawal's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +11 more
Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM
Telephoto prime lens • Canon EF • 1056B002
Announced: Feb 21, 2006
Arpit Agrawal's score
Average community score
Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Pentax FA 70-200 F2.8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow