Low-light shooting (A7RII, A7S)

Started Sep 14, 2015 | Discussions thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
charpi Forum Member • Posts: 79
Low-light shooting (A7RII, A7S)

Hi all, just a general question on your opinions.

I am going to be shooting an event which takes place in very low light (I'm estimating 12800 ISO). The event will be laser tag in a dark room.

For example,

(Image shamelessly ripped off from Google Images)

I have an A7RII and plan to use my FE55 F1.8 with it wide open.

My question is, is it enough? Or should I rent an A7S just for a day for that event. I do not have to print, just Facebook/Web level quality is fine. Off the top of my head, I can think of a few options:

1) A7RII full resolution, then downsample

The issue with this is that I'm not sure how to downsample with C1 or Lightroom. Is it the same as just exporting at a lower resolution and the software does the interpolation automatically for you?

2) A7RII crop mode

In this method, does the A7RII automatically downsample for you, giving cleaner images?

3) Rent an A7S

Need extra $$

4) A7RII in movie mode (1/100s, F1.8, Super 35 4K)

I kind of like this "cheat" method. I get a series of 3840x2160 images (resolution is fine with me), camera automatically does the downsampling to reduce noise. I shall treat it as AF-C mode, at 50fps. Drawback is that it requires a lot of battery and space.

Personally, I would love it if anyone can point me to comparisons between (1) and (2). But I'm leaning towards (4).

Thoughts?

Thanks

charpi's gear list:charpi's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL2 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +1 more
Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha a7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Rob
Rob
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow