Nikon 600mm f4 ED IF AiS 'New' design ser #20xxxx

Started Sep 14, 2015 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
G Beckmann New Member • Posts: 24
Nikon 600mm f4 ED IF AiS 'New' design ser #20xxxx

I have a wonderful 600mm f4 ED IF AiS manual focus that I unfortunately only get a chance to use now and then - bought used nearly nine years ago for a trip to Alaska. I keep it in its trunk case and we are a non-smoking family. ( and I also have a modified Teleconverter 1.4 AF I use with it to help me get focus)

I want to have it 'cleaned' - not that there are any significant 'issues' , just that I feel the images can be sharper/clearer - becase I myself just got a new pair of glasses, and I can not believe how clear crisp and sharp the world is with the new lenese as compare to the old pair - so I am assuming that if the 600 f4 was 'cleaned up' the world would look clear crisper and sharper in my photos taken with D3, D800, D300 D2h, and other bodies - I even use an adapter with Nikon J1 mirrorless with great success. And maybe my photos could 'pop"!

I purchased recently Original Nikon Repair manuals for the 600 f4 ED IF AiS early model and 600 f5.6 AiS models; however, I found that the 600 f4 Repair Manual did not include/cover the 'new' design - 1986-1992 becasue the copyright of the manual was 1982! Not an issue I thought when I bought them.

Having received and reviewed the Repair Manuals, I also believe there are enough differences between my lens Ser #2010xx and the manual(s) I have, that I would be ill advised to try a DIY approach to this task without the actual manual ( and maybe not even then since a lot of spanners, etc. seem to be required) - appreciate any suggestions - advice - and shared experience from others on how to proceed ( ora maybe leave well enough alone), or suggest who to have do the service and roughly what it should run.

Contacted Nikon Melville NY; however, they said lens was 'not in their computer' as far as a cleaning.

There is no fungus or physical damage beyond a very very slight surface scratch < 1 cm on front optical surface - there just seems to be what I would describe as internal optical element 'haze' observed when I shine a laser pointer or bright LED pointer from rear and look from front off optical axis center.

Thank you much - I am located upstate NY outside of Albany Capital Region..

First time poster on forum, enjoy reading postings - Thank you...

G Beckmann's gear list:G Beckmann's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D70s Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm F4E FL ED VR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow