Sony 90mm F2.8 Macro and Face Recognition

Started Sep 10, 2015 | Discussions thread
vett93
OP vett93 Senior Member • Posts: 4,514
Re: Caution On Using Face Detection

Jeff2013 wrote:

One thing I learned about Face Detection (not Eye Detection) is that it will typically focus on the tip of the nose. This works OK when shooting at f8, with a wide depth-of-field, but does not work with wide apertures, when the eye needs to be in critical focus. I'm very careful about when I use Face Detection. Of course, that is when Eye Detection works great, when using FE lenses.

Good point, Jeff. Even when I select small flexible point for AF, the Face Detection function still focuses at the closest point on the face. So Face Detection has to work hand-in-hand with Eye Detection to make wide aperture AF work accurately for portrait.

One reason I like Face Detection is that it also adjusts the exposure for the skin tone. I understand that I can use AEL for spot exposure and then adjust compensation accordingly. But it is a bit slower.

I think the Face Detection does work well with A-mount lenses on flexible spot AF through LA-EA4. In this way, LA-EA4 handles the AF and Face Detection handles the exposure. I have good success this way with my A-mount lenses.

-- hide signature --

Sony A7II | A6000 | RX-10
from 12mm to 500mm

vett93's gear list:vett93's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony a6500
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow