Pixma Pro 100 prints are too dark

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Questions thread
SC489 Contributing Member • Posts: 778
Re: Pixma Pro 100 prints are too dark

I worked out how to get a good match with my Pixma Pro 100 a few months ago - see http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3782841?page=1

In summary, my set-up is:

Camera: Lumix GX7 shooting RAW with Adobe RGB colour space

Monitor: Viewsonic VP2770 calibrated to 90Cd/m2 & 5000K using a Spyder 4 Pro colorimeter

RAW Development: DXO Optics Pro 10 with export in TIFF format to Lightroom for printing. I find Lightroom has superior print layout functionality and it supports soft proofing. I may start using Lightroom for routine RAW development, leaving DXO Optics Pro for for specific photos where I need the lens correction functionality and noise reduction.

Printer Driver: Canon Pixma Pro 100 XPS driver using Windows 8.1 Pro x64. I've stored profiles for my common papers and sizes.

Print Settings: I view the photo using soft proofing in Lightroom with Simulate Paper & Ink turned on - I generally create a soft proof. Select the paper ICC profile in Lightroom, none in the printer driver, printer resolution 300 ppi. I generally use relative colorimetric matching, sometimes perceptual depending on the image. The Print Studio Pro plug-in is easy to use but there are no options to set the print area precisely. However, it supports 16 bit printing (but can you tell the difference?).

Paper: I've tried Canon Pro Platinum, Pro Lustre and Permajet Oyster to date - all with excellent results and matching. I have a specific Oyster profile for my printer which is free if you use Permajet paper. You send Permajet a printed colour profile chart and they email the profile for your specific printer.

Viewing Light: This turned out to be quite important. I'm using a desk lamp fitted with a 5000K 4W GU10 LED - this one http://www.lyonlighting.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=420cobcool&PN=Ebrite-Definded-Beam-GU10-LED-5W-45W-Cool-White-5-000K-Lamp-420COBCOOL%2ehtml#SID=129 . This provides a similar colour temperature to the monitor at the correct illumination level when viewed from several feet.

No doubt there will be many other opinions on this Forum but the above works for me.

SC489's gear list:SC489's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
lot
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow