GX8 RAW Convertors - SilkyPix vs Capture One

Started Sep 9, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NFG Regular Member • Posts: 160
GX8 RAW Convertors - SilkyPix vs Capture One

Now that Capture One supports the GX8, I loaded up a few RAWs to see how the respective programs handle the RW2 files. I left the settings on default, and cropped some representative bits at 100%. No adjustments were made, and I encourage you to draw your own conclusions before reading mine below the sample crops.

The first two are high-ISO shots. The third is a base ISO crop.

ISO 6400

ISO 6400

ISO 200

The first obvious thing I noticed is that SilkyPix loves heavily saturated images. Perhaps because I was shooting in VIVID mode (though I'm not sure that information comes through in the RAW files), perhaps it just leans that way. Next, SilkyPix is a little bit brighter. That's sort of not worth mentioning, because a user will set their default preferences as they like.

The big issue for me is the colour flaring. In the ISO-6400 images from SilkyPix you can see heaps of colour well beyond the edges it comes from. The guard rail of the fist image too has a lot of white flare, where Capture One does a much better job of controlling it. See also the letters in the second image sign.

SilkyPix also tends to over sharpen by default, the edges of the letters in the third image are noticeably over sharpened, and the whole sign is a little bit grainy. Also, perhaps as a result of the overbright and oversaturated defaults, the grass is less detailed, and if I'm being extra critical it seems the gravel is a little bit flat.

My conclusion is that SilkyPix isn't for me. I might be able to tweak and adjust it to be more neutral as a starting point for editing, but its inability to control the flaring is a huge problem.

NFG's gear list:NFG's gear list
Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 Phase One Capture One Pro
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Phase One Capture One Pro Silkypix Developer Studio
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NFG
NFG
NFG
NFG
NFG
NFG
NFG
NFG
NFG
NFG
NFG
NFG
NFG
NFG
NFG
NFG
NFG
NFG
NFG
NFG
NFG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow