Travel lens for A7II - SELP18200 or SEL2420?

Started Sep 5, 2015 | Questions thread
Jeff2013
Jeff2013 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,066
Re: Travel lens for A7II - SELP18200 or SEL2420?

I went to Italy, last year, and left all my gear at home and just took an RX1R (with electronic viewfinder). With 35mm, f2, I could shot indoors, outdoors and night-time, hand-held. You can go to my website and click on the Italy link to see the photos. As a photographer who typically has his bag filled with lenses, I was a bit nervous when I left on the trip with just a pocket camera, but was actually really pleased with the results. I think that shooting a single FL made me a better photographer by the end of the trip.

The main problem with the lenses you mentioned is that they are too slow to be useful in all shooting conditions - particularly since tripods are banned in most areas. I just returned from a trip to Ireland where I used my new A7RII with the FE 16-35mm f4 for outdoors and the FE 35mm f1.4 for indoor and night shooting. I also took the FE 70-200mm f4, but seldom used it, except for portraits of my wife.

I was just reviewing my shots from the trip. The two main lenses I used were absolutely killer-sharp!

The bottom line - take a fast wide-angle lens with you, if nothing else. A relatively inexpensive solution would be the Sony FE 28mm f2, along with your zoom lens (but not the SELP18200).

-- hide signature --
 Jeff2013's gear list:Jeff2013's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +9 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow