13 inch MacBook Pro Retina 8GB For Photo Editing?

Started Apr 29, 2015 | Discussions thread
Tripodasaurus Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: 13 inch MacBook Pro Retina 8GB For Photo Editing?

Kevin Muldoon wrote:

TheCohbrah wrote:

Yeah I think 8gb will be fine (especially with the SSD being a newer model). I think the whole RAM thing is messing with my head.

Thanks for the input!!

I recommend opening up all the applications you use regularly on your existing computer. Then open up activity monitor and check how much RAM you are using. That will give you an idea of whether you need to stick with 8GB of RAM or save some money and upgrade to 16GB of RAM.

Thanks Kevin for the good tip

I currently have a Late 2010 MacBook Air 2.13 GHz with 4Gb RAM

I just opened Lightroom and Elements 10 in editing mode and combined they use only 3.01 Gb.

I think my next logical upgrade would be the MBP 15" 2.2 GHz quad core with on chip Intel Iris Pro which comes with 8Gb RAM as standard.  The 13" 2.7GHz dual core may not be enough to speed things up nor to future proof and the MBP 15" with AMD GPU I suspect may be overkill for stills only.

Tripodasaurus's gear list:Tripodasaurus's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow