FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

Started Aug 26, 2015 | Discussions thread
Mark K
Mark K Veteran Member • Posts: 6,004
Re: FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

fboss wrote:

Alpha Photo wrote:

You are kidding, right? I don't have the A7rii, but I had A6000 and now A7ii and the A7ii has by far better IQ than the A6000, especially under low light conditions. I was hoping to keep the A6000 as a "focal length extender" but after having seen the images coming out of A7ii, I sold the A6000.

I have no reason to believe that IQ of A7rii is somehow worse than A7ii.

I bought the A7ii + 28-70.
After testing it during 1 week, I returned it. Yes it's a nice camera, with nice features. I liked the grip, the bigger EVF and LCD, and of course the DOF. But in low light it was only 1 stop better than the A6k. And most of the pictures were not sharper/nicer than my A6k + 16-70 (besides the DOF ). Not to mention the slower AF with less phase focus points, etc.

My conclusion was I had to get a great 24-70 to enjoy it, but after reading the controversial reviews of the Sony-Zeiss 24-70 I gave up and kept my A6k. I'm convinced it's not an outstanding lens like the FE 16-35 (that has 100% positive reviews )

The A7Rii is maybe a different story because we can adapt some good Canon lenses. Like the 24-70 F4 or 24-70 F2.8 ii. But then we miss some nice AF features of the camera ....

I mounted A7riI today with 24-70f2.8. I almost forgot how much I love its sharpness, rivals the popular Nikkor and beats 24-70f2.8L generation one.

However it is much much heavier than 24-70fe

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon D500 +66 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow