FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

Started Aug 26, 2015 | Discussions thread
Tim O'Connor
Tim O'Connor Veteran Member • Posts: 5,383
Re: FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

jaybr wrote:

I'm glad all of you are happy with your copies of the lens.

So what you're all claiming, is that all the reputable reviewers who have not given positive reviews, must have received "Bad" copies of the lens, and all of you here, must have received "Good" copies of the lens?

Heh, it must be just the luck of the draw eh?

Or is it (as someone else posted), that you guys have tried a few copies before you found/tested a keeper? which obviously the reviewers haven't done.

Or have Sony improved their quality control since the original reviews were done?

i would say it's a combination of improved quality control, and luck of the draw  this is my one and only copy of the lens. Incidentally I don't find Sony to be worse than Canon or Nikon in regard to quality control based on the lenses I have from all three.  Actually I'm very impressed with the build quality of the zeiss branded Sonys, and even the Sony based lenses like the excellent 28mm is nicely made.  There ARE actually some positive reviews of the 24-70 f4 btw, so it's not all brickbats.

Either way, I'm still not convinced. I prefer the incredible FE 55mm, and zooming with my feet.

J

Yes I get that - but since you have already purchased tested and returned it, I believe you are already convinced.  Nothing I say will change that.

Zooming with your feet works well for some situations, but in a lot of cases you will miss the shot.  I guess you need to weigh up getting a shot with some percived deficiencies (corner sharpness, vignetting) or not getting any shot at all.  All depends on your intended purpose I guess.

-- hide signature --
 Tim O'Connor's gear list:Tim O'Connor's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D500 Sony a7R III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow