FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

Started Aug 26, 2015 | Discussions thread
neatokino New Member • Posts: 22
Re: Some samples....

As is clear from this and many other threads here, personal needs and standards are big factors in lens choice. I have the Zeiss 24-70 f4 and a wide range of great legacy primes (Zeiss lenses in Contarex and Rollei mounts from 18mm to 250mm); I'm not a professional still photographer, but I'm a visual arts professional, so I know the difference, but I personally don't need perfection for the lenses I use to take still photos.

I've tested my 24-70, and maybe it just happens to be a decent example, but with the standard correction in Capture One, it looks good throughout the range, is nice and sharp at the corners, better of course stopped down than wide open but perfectly acceptable for MY needs (crucial distinction-- your needs are not mine) even at f4. I just use it as a general all-around travel/snapshot lens, and for those purposes it is excellent. If you're hiking and shooting landscapes, it's a serious option, and you should rent it or borrow it or find a way to try it for your needs.  Based on the example I have, I'm baffled by the hate this lens receives, as mine performs very very well, and its rendering of color and contrast are subjectively excellent to my taste.

Having said that, I find myself using my Sony FE 28mm f2 more often than the zoom as an all-around lens. I also have a good example of the Sony lens, but it's far from perfect wide open and can be easily criticized by some pixel peepers (though it does get great scores). I just find it to be a lightweight, reasonably compact lens, wide enough for landscapes, excellent for wideangle closeups of people, and almost as versatile as the 24-70, though it's of course a very different lens.

I'd always recommend a set of 3 primes over the zoom. With the Batis 25 (or Sony 28mm f2) and Batis 85 and the Sony 55 you'd be out a ton of $$$ but you'd have everything you'd ever need from the 24-70 only better.  You'll get sharper images and 2+ extra stops.  Changing lenses is not a huge deal and shouldn't be a factor.  Saving space and $ are more significant reasons to buy the zoom.

If you want a midrange zoom, I think you're OK with the 24-70mm; I'm very happy with mine for what it does.  Maybe mine happens to be a good one, but it seems to me this lens doesn't get a fair shake.

neatokino's gear list:neatokino's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow