FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

Started Aug 26, 2015 | Discussions thread
Mordi
Mordi Senior Member • Posts: 2,304
Re: FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

The Zeiss 24-70mm is a perfectly fine lens in its class. Like someone else said most of the negative reports come from people with little to no experience in the 24-70mm zoom lens area or repeating what they've without actually owning the lens.

A zoom lens is usually best in its mid-range and less so at the ends (24mm and 70 mm) but really shines from 35mm-60mm

The price of the lens is also what got people. The lens when released was more expensive than other F/4 zooms in its range and I think people thought it meant it should perform better then the less expensive Canon option.

Also this was the first native wide angle focal length option on the FE mount system. A lot of landscape and pixel peepers bought it to shoot at 24mm and complained not really having the knowledge that 24mm and 70mm would be the weakest focal length of this or most zooms.

There was then a split between who wanted an f2.8 lens and those that felt the lens was too big for the FE mount system (especially since the A7II and A7R-II were nowhere around yet and the A7/R bodies are so much smaller). So you had both sides feeling a bit unhappy. The 2.8 crowd and the size/weight crowd.

Lastly, the prime lens options at the time (35mm 2.8 and 55mm 1.8) are remarkable lenses - but are fixed focal lengths.

All this being said - I own the 24-70mm and for what the lens design and uses are for- I find it to be perfectly fine lens. Especially now you can find it for $799 instead of $1200 USD.

Where did you find a new 24-70 for $799? With a USA warranty? I've just rented one with an extra A7 body for a video shoot this week, and am likely to be charmed by it.

Mordi's gear list:Mordi's gear list
Sony a7 II Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow