FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

Started Aug 26, 2015 | Discussions thread
jalywol
jalywol Veteran Member • Posts: 9,637
Re: Some samples....

jaybr wrote:

I tested the lens, then returned it. It wasn't for me.

Also, every reputable review I've read about it, does not rave about its performance.

Absolutely...and nobody disputes that there is clearly significant sample to sample variation (especially in early copies). Those reviews have a fair number of users scratching their heads, as what they have posted doesn't really jibe with the results they are getting from their copies.

To get optimal sharpness out of it, you need to stop down to F8. I noticed most of your photos were stopped down. Why, not sharp enough wide open?

Um, if you hadn't noticed, most of them were landscapes that needed deep DOF? 3/12 were wide open at f4, 2/12 were at f5.6..... the rest ranged from f6.3-f11. In FF, I find that I need to stop down a whole heck of a lot more than I used to with smaller sensored cameras when I shoot nature, in order to get everything I want to be in focus actually in focus.....Or perhaps you haven't realized that? Not every image benefits from shallow DOF, ergo not every image should be shot wide open....

Poor and nervous bokeh...

Once again, I suspect you are using this lens in ways that it perhaps it is not designed for? If you want really great subject isolation, an f4 lens is not going to do it for you anyway....

I just don't see too many reasons for buying it.

That is abundantly clear.

https://photographylife.com/best-and-worst-sony-fe-lenses-for-a7-cameras

They compare the FE 28-70mm (kit lens).

Yes, and if you read the comments, you will see exactly what I have said: A good copy of this lens is very good, and a bad copy is terrible.  You clearly got a bad copy.

I bought the 28-70mm with my A7 when I got it.  It was awful.  Color rendition was nasty and murky (and I have seen that with other photos from the lens, not just mine), microcontrast is bad, my copy had awful halation on just OOF areas in front and behind the focal plane, and it's corners were as bad as my least favorite M43 zoom, the Panasonic 14-42mm (an awful lens).   I sent it back and got the 24-70mm instead, and was blown away by how much better the 24-70mm actually was.

So?  Moral of the story?  There are bad copies of the 24-70mm out there, but good ones really shine.

-J

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow