FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

Started Aug 26, 2015 | Discussions thread
jalywol
jalywol Veteran Member • Posts: 9,637
Re: FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

fboss wrote:

The lack of a great 24-70 also holds me back from buying a A7rii.

I'm sure the FE 24-70 is able to capture some Ok pictures, but I if put >$3K in a new body, I want great not "just fine" pictures.

There is a rumor that an f2.8 24-70mm is in the works....but honestly, you might just want to try the current one before you assume that it's not a good lens.  There are an awful lot of people on this forum who actually use it, even professionally, and like it.  They've come out and spoken about it in a number of posts recently, but tend to stay silent usually since the naysayers (many of whom never have used the lens) are the most aggressively vocal and it gets tiresome to try and argue with them.

Here's the thing:  If you get a good copy of the 24-70mm f4, it's a very nice lens.  It's got beautiful color, great microcontrast, and very good sharpness.   If you get a less good copy, it won't leave you with as good an impression.  I happen to have gotten a good copy, and I am quite pleased with it.  Is it as good as a good wide prime wide open on the far edges? No, but I didn't expect it to be; it is a zoom lens, after all....

Try one, you might be surprised....

-J

There are some alternatives, like Metabones + Canon 24-70 , or LEA3 + Tamron . But I would miss some of the cool features (AF eye tracking , etc) that motivate me to get the A7rii.

one solution I'm considering is a FE lens (like the Zeiss 55mm) for the features (and quality), and Canon 24-70 f4 + 70-200 F4 for the quality only. But not sure it makes sense to invest in some Canon lenses in this context.

( I know there is a good FE 16-35. But I'm not convinced that this focal range only would work for me. Or perharps I should rent/try the 10-18 on the A6000 and see if I like it )

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow