FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

Started Aug 26, 2015 | Discussions thread
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 36,357
Re: microfocus adjust

EdwardWestonNYC wrote:

Have you ever had focus peaking on (both AF and Manual) at wider apertures, shows marching ants and then used the magnify zoom or DMF to enlarge or and find the image is not really in focus?

Just for clarification - it's not the Mirror in a DSLR that causes lenses to be out of calibration. So its not really any different if the autofocus system is using the sensor to focus with if the autofocus system and lens combination is out of tune. Its not that the camera mis-focuses - to the camera's brain (mirrorless or dslr) the software "thinks" the image is in focus.

I'm not up to speed on what these sensors do in that regard, and which lenses utilize PDAF and all that (haven't had a need to know as of yet, mainly). But I think Alpha is suggesting CDAF doesn't need calibration, but PDAF may. If there are exceptions with the Sony FF's, then those should be noted for clarification.

I can't make sense of what you were saying, to be honest. I understood it, but haven't heard of CDAF needing calibration, except maybe in one-off circumstances calling for dealer service.   And as for FP, it's just generally not up to the task for wider angle usage, afaik.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
http://www.bobtullis.com

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow