FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

Started Aug 26, 2015 | Discussions thread
EdwardWestonNYC Regular Member • Posts: 478
Re: FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

Robgo2 wrote:

EdwardWestonNYC wrote:

The only problem I have with at home tests is that most people haven't microadjusted their lenses with a calibrator. All lenses perform different on a different bodies (including the same lens on two different bodies - even if they are the same model body). A non-sharp lens on one body can be tack sharp on another - and this is very very common. Why don't people see it as much? 1 might not be looking but 2 the smaller the F/stop the greater the hyperfocal distance. So if you focus on something at F8 and your AF is off calibration with that lens you most likely wouldn't notice it. But the same picture at F2 you might.

I'm not sure what you are getting at here. With mirrorless cameras, focusing is done right off the sensor, so there is no need to calibrate lenses, as there is with DSLRs. This is true even with non-native lenses used with adapters. Did I miss your point somehow?

Rob

Rob, this is a big misconception - even mirrorless systems (since focus is done by software) should be calibrated. Sony has included the option to micro adjust focus on all the A7 series cameras for this reason. It's especially useful when using non-native FE lenses. Sony designed a camera to work with their lenses. Throw in all kinds of adapters, lenses, third party systems and you have so many variables - so even more reason to have micro-adjust.

But like I said - when shooting stopped down it's less issue - you'll mostly see differences at wider apertures.

But my original statement is that most people who test at home - don't bother to check this. What did we learn in Science growing up? In a study- control all the variables that you can control.

So I'm really pointed out that the same lens focused on one body, put the same lens on the a different body (whether it be two A7R's or one A7R and one Canon) and you're throwing in room for error on uncalibrated systems that can throw the results.

I'm not a big pixel peeper like a lot of testers, but I do want a test to be conducted so it has validity.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow