FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

Started Aug 26, 2015 | Discussions thread
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 58,853
Re: The FE24-70 is as good as ------>

I'm sure you know that without the software correction that is applied before you see the images (even in RAW with most editing programs), the Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 ED Pro was measured to have 6.3% barrel distortion at its wide end. So it isn't exactly perfect!

I have the lens and use it like that - the distortion isn`t as bad as Photozone's figure suggests - still pin sharp edge to edge at F2.8 across the whole zoom range - as I said, it`s far easier to make a decent zoom for a tiny sensor - makes me wonder why Sony can`t make a single decent 16-XX/18-XX for APS-C

I expect we will see an f/2.8 version before long but if it is as large as I expect, I will stick with the f/4 version.

Me to, even with the grip on , I don`t fancy an F2.8 beer barrel stuck on the A7, may as well lug the 1DS-III .. the only way they`ll get it smaller is to compromise, it`ll either be rubbish or have out of control whacky distortion like the SEL 18-105

As I said, my 24-70 stands up to pixel peeping at F4 at 36Mp, Sharpness isn`t an issue even at the edges - the CA and especially Bokeh are the least attractive "features" of the lens for me - by far its most outstanding is colour, it takes a very expensive L prime like the 35 F1.4L to match it

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Fujifilm X-T100
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow