FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

Started Aug 26, 2015 | Discussions thread
OP MoreGooderPhotos Contributing Member • Posts: 896
Re: FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

Wow. So many great replies! Thanks everyone.

I really like the idea of practicing changing a lens while standing over a bed. I will definitely do that. Regarding dust: I have lens cleaning down pretty well already. The biggest cause of me having to clean a lens is when I accidently touch the lens face or lens filter with a finger. I can't tell you how many times I've done that on my RX10.  With an ILC when I swap a lens I have three surfaces to worry about touching (assuming I remember to leave the front lens cap on). The rear glass from two lenses, and the surface of the sensor. Dust, in hindsight, appears to be the least of my issues. That's where practice comes in I suppose.  I imagine that the bigger and heavier lenses are more difficult to swap.

The sample photos posted in this thread are amazing! Thanks very much for posting them.

I did a quick study in LR where I used the metadata filter to show me what focal lengths I've used. For 2041, 1192 out of 5172 frames where shot at 8.8mm, which for an RX10 is a 24mm equivalent focal length for full frame. The next highest quantity, 842, was at the full zoom of 78.3mm, which is a 200mm equivalent focal length. The next biggest hump in the data was 246 photos at 12.83mm (35mm equivalent). And then, 189 photos at 18.21 (50mm equivalent). The rest of the photos were pretty evenly scattered, with more heavily weighted towards the shorter focal lengths. There were a relatively small number of photos at focal lengths between 25.71 (70mm) and 73.3 (200). If I had more time I'd throw all of my focal length metadata into Excel and create a distribution chart.  Focal lengths scattered between these data humps could easily have been different if I had zoomed with my feet instead of with the lens.

This is telling me that I favor wide angle to normal focal lengths, with the occasional telephoto. Most of those telephotos were taken to snap an ID photo of a bird in a tree and not serious attempts at composing a shot. I can tell you that with great certainty lugging around a long telephoto full frame lens on a hiking trek is just not likely to happen.

So, I think that I'll go with the 16-35 and 55 combo. The fact that 24mm is my most commonly used focal length tells me that I'd probably appreciate going even wider than 24, and that's just not possible with the 24-70.

Thanks everyone!

Now, I'm off to find some money hidden in the couch cushions.

MGP

MoreGooderPhotos's gear list:MoreGooderPhotos's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a7 II Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Zeiss Batis 25mm F2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow