FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

Started Aug 26, 2015 | Discussions thread
JYPfoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,303
Re: FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

The 24-70 is a very good lens in my opinion, it suffers from the price and the unfair comparison to 2.8 zooms.  The Nikon 24-120 f/4 suffers from softness at the wide end, I was never really impressed with the Canon 24-105 when I tried it, and the Sigma 24-105 Art lens is a pretty good lens, but large (82mm filter thread) and heavy.  The only one I haven't tried personally is the newer Canon 24-70 f/4.  So compared against that one, price for price, the Sony will seem overpriced.

Yes it has pretty bad distortion, and it's weaker towards the two extremes.  But for its versatility I like it.  I shoot it stopped down some when I want to improve corner sharpness, but at the end of the day I just shoot it wide open a lot and can't really complain.  Then again I'm not a landscape photographer and I don't stare into the corners and pixel peep.  I shoot mostly portraits where my subjects are mostly in the vicinity of the center where it's sharp.  It's primarily an outdoor lens for me, I'll swap over to a prime when I'm indoors or light falls.

For the full retail price, yes it's hard to purchase.  I got my copy for $700, which I think was a decent value.  Like I said before it suffers from the expectations of being the flagship zoom and trying to match the performance of a 2.8 zoom for the price and size of a f/4 zoom.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow