FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

Started Aug 26, 2015 | Discussions thread
Camley Senior Member • Posts: 1,775
Re: FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

MoreGooderPhotos wrote:

But, with the issue is lens choice. I was excited to read about the 24-70 as it would fit my needs. I'd prefer not to take lenses off on a dusty trail, thus a zoom with my typical focal lengths make sense. What's holding me back, though, is the mixed reviews of the lens.

There are plenty of images available for download using this lens and you can open them and see for yourself.

I think that many people were hoping for another "super" FE lens. What we got is a good medium quality standard range zoom. It produces very nice images and many users (including myself) are happy with the lens.

1. Does sharpening in PP mitigate the softness in the corners enough to make this issue a non-issue?
  2. At 24mm, does the distortion correction mean a noticeable image compromise in the pro's opinion?
  3. If I saved up and got the A7Rii, does the higher pixel count make the softness even more problematic? Or does the extra pixel density really mean that prints look sharper despite the lens performance at 100%?
  4. Are there other hikers/camera enthusiast like me out there? Did you wind up getting the 24-70 f/4 FE and deciding it's good enough when PP'd?

It requires a little extra sharpening compared to say the 16-35 f/4.

I am not a pro but I don't see any special problem with the images taken at 24mm after correction. This lens, like many mirrorless zooms from Sony and other manufacturers such as Olympus, is designed to be used with software correction.

I'm temped to buy the 16-35 f/4 and a 55 f/1.8 for my needs but then there's the worry about dust on the sensor and my clumsy fingers.

That would be stronger optically but I take the point about dust. Look at the images on the web and see if you find them OK. I would close down by a stop (I generally do that with any lens) which isn't a problem because of the camera's high ISO performance.

Any helpful advice, especially regarding the worry about changing a lens, would be helpful. Surely I'm not the only person out there that has gone through this thought experiment.

I don't like changing lenses in dusty conditions and I would use the 24-70 f/4. You can get some very satisfying images using it.

Camley's gear list:Camley's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a7R II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow