FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

Started Aug 26, 2015 | Discussions thread
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 37,122
Re: FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

IMO fear of changing lenses due to dust is not practical with an ILC. Dust happens. Spots in photos for the most part if evident are readily cleaned up in post with minor intervention. A minor annoyance, and to keep the sensor maintained it's a minor maintenance task to blow the sensor regularly (Rocket Blower), and to wet clean it as necessary. The latter may be intimidating at first, but it just becomes a routine task soon enough.

The thing to do is to stand over a bed or couch, and practice removing end caps and swapping lenses until you become confident with it. Practically speaking you should be able to change lenses w/o leaving the lens mount exposed for more than one second. Outdoors facing away from the wind is advisable, or wait for a lull in the wind (it often comes in waves). If possible have the camera point downwards (not always practical in the field, but if possible try it). Vacuum your bag, your end caps, blow both sides of the lenses before the trip.

I'm a bit disappointed in the 27-40/4 too, but as was said on a tripod stopped down it's fine. So I compose with a little room for crop or try to stay away from the extreme ends of the FL range, and try not to use IBIS if not necessary (not sure if that matters just yet, though Adam-T suggested it does).

The notion of a 16-35/4 and the 55/1.8 is very advisable as an alternative to the 24-70/4 (again, IMO).

FWIW, though. . .

. 12-40/4 f/11 33mm 1/3s (tripod)

. 26mm f/5.6 1/30s (tripod)

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
http://www.bobtullis.com

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow