FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

Started Aug 26, 2015 | Discussions thread
Derek Dean
Derek Dean Senior Member • Posts: 2,017
Re: FE 24-70 f/4: Holding me back from going to A7x

First, I understand your trepidation. When I first bought my A7ii, I completely wrote off the 24-70 f4 because of the bad reviews, and instead got an Fe 55mm 1.8 and the FE 28 f2.0.

Those are both outstanding lenses, but I missed having a zoom, so I took a chance and ordered the FE 24-70 f4, used. Gee, what a nice surprise when it arrived to find out it was pretty darn good. Not perfect, but after testing and using for a few days, I realized it was a keeper.

I'm not a pro, although I've shot weddings etc. over the years, and now I just shoot for fun, and FOR ME, the 24-70 is a FUN lens to shoot with, and plenty good for what I do, which is occasion 13x19 prints.  It's sharp in the center even wide open, and does pretty well in the corners, with stopping down a bit making it even better.  Great color and contrast, with excellent bokeh, and it balances really well on the A7ii.

So, I wouldn't take the 24-70 f4 off your list just yet, but if you decide to go that way, make sure you have a good return policy to fall back on in case you're not happy with your copy.

I also like your idea of the 16-35mm and 55mm f1.8. That would be superb combo. My only real problem with the 55 f1.8 is that it didn't focus nearly close enough for my needs, but other than that, it's super sharp with wonderful rendering.

So, I don't think you'll go wrong either way, with the safe bet being the 16-35 and 55mm combo, but I really like my 24-70mm f4 and would suggest you try one if you can.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide and how it works, out.

Derek Dean's gear list:Derek Dean's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow