Focus Tracking ability of A7rII

Started Aug 25, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Thomas KP Lee
Thomas KP Lee Contributing Member • Posts: 553
Focus Tracking ability of A7rII

There is no questions of AF speed on A7rII on either using native lenses or LA-EA3 and 4, as well as Metabones IV, after I used the A7rII for over two weeks. I was wondering about the Focusing tracking ability of the new A7rII, so I did some test on Sunday with my two dogs at the Park near by, for what I call "Running Dog Test" - Let my dogs run towards me while try to capture their running actions. I brought along three lenses and two camera : A7rII and Canon 1Dx, with EF 70-200L non IS, EF 100-400L version II and Minolta 200 f2.8. I set the camera at 1/500 and f8 (I tried before if set at wide aperture, the failure will be higher because of thinner DOF) with ISO auto, it was a sunny day, so ISO has been low. A7rII is with LA-EA4 for the Minolta lens, while Metabones IV for the two Canon lenses.

What I found is that for 1Dx, the successful capture rate is about 60%, but A7rII is quite low, I wold say less than 10%. There are two issues on the tracking abilities of A7rII

1. When using multi shots ( 5 fps), I think focus will only lock on the first photo, making fast moving object images not in focus afterwards. Below are two photos, 1st one is the first of the multi shots, the 2nd is the 3rd photo of the multi shot, i.e. should be 0.4sec after the 1st one. You can see the focus is slightly off by then.

A7rII + MB IV + EF 70-200 non IS at 159mm - 1st shot at Multi shots

A7rII + MB IV + EF 70-200 non IS at 159mm - 3st shot at Multi shots

2. There is a lag between focused object to the actual photo shooting, so when my dog running fast, it always got the focus at his tail, even when focus is supposely on his face. See several photos examples below:

A7rII + LA-EA4 + Minolta 200 f2.8

A7rII + MB IV + EF 100-400 II at 241mm

A7rII + MB IV + EF 70-200L non IS at 159mm

So my conclusion is A7rII is still not good for fast action sports or wildlife shooting, if fast action tracking is required.

Thomas KP Lee's gear list:Thomas KP Lee's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Sony Alpha a99 Canon EOS 70D Sony a7R Sony a6000 +10 more
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS-1D Olympus Stylus 1s Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow