With crop mode, every FE prime lens becomes 2 lenses in effect.

Started Aug 20, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Philnw2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,683
With crop mode, every FE prime lens becomes 2 lenses in effect.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but if i were to put the 55mm F1.8 lens on an A7X, in crop mode it would give me the same field of view as an 82mm lens with roughly 18mp resolution.

To me, thats kind of exciting, and economical at the same time.  If i'm shooting play rehearsals, which i do frequently, and need a tighter shot, a change in settings will do the trick.  No lens change out - just some button pushing.  And 18mp is fine for most of my shots.

From what i read out of the A7RII manual, one goes to the Image size menu and selects the crop size of image.  Is that correct.  And i understand from the manual that Image size can be assigned to the Fn menu.  I could live with that although it would be nicer to have it assigned to a custom button of its own.

Its true that one can crop down a 42mp FF image in PP, but in field shooting, its nice to have the frame there to show one what the image would have in it.

-- hide signature --

Phil B
Pentax K-3 Nex 6, 5n, Epson 3880

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
Pentax K-3 Sony a7 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow