From the LX100 to the Fuji X100T and back again

Started Aug 18, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dexter75 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,403
From the LX100 to the Fuji X100T and back again

Im a professional photographer for 10 years now. Been published worldwide in many publications mostly men's magazines and car magazines. Im a Canon shooter but wanted something smaller, lighter but still wanted a hotshoe and viewfinder, so that eliminated the Canon G7X and others I had looked at. Was also looking to stay under a grand which ruled out the nicer Leicas which I really liked. After much research on various models, I found out the LX100 was a Leica D-Lux without the red dot and for $250 less and the reviews were mostly very positive. Picked one up a few days ago and really liked it but a few minor annoyances like the menu was confusing and drove me nuts, it didn't have an ND filter and I kept reading good things on the Fuji X100T. I returned the Panasonic and grabbed the Fuji. Long story short but I took the same shots inside and out and was shocked by the results. Despite having a smaller sensor and less megapixels, the LX100 did a WAY better job, especially in low light. I couldn't believe it. Not to mention I like the creative filters on the Panasonic way better, the "old days" filter looks more like old Fuji than Fuji's own "classic chrome" filter IMO. Wide open at f/2.0 is unusable on the Fuji, its way too soft. f/2.1 on the Panasonic was sharp and detailed. If you look at the samples below, I actually shot the pics from the LX100 an hour later in the day, meaning an hours worth of less light. Natural light pics from the Fuji were unusable, even at 3200 ISO, they were blurry. The Panasonic pics were a bit on the noisy side at 100% but plenty usable. Im going to chalk all this up to the image stabilization in the LX100 and the wonderful Leica lens. That appears to trump the larger sensor and higher pixel count in the Fuji. I was very surprised but happy to go back to the LX100 and save that $571

Fuji X100T f/2 23mm shutter speed 1/27

[img]http://i.imgur.com/3xOWCnv.jpg[/img]

Panasonic LX100 f/2.1 12.5mm shutter speed 1/80

[img]http://i.imgur.com/QvK8Hji.jpg[/img]

Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X100T Panasonic LX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow