The Sony A7s - Birders' dream camera?

Started Jun 5, 2014 | Discussions thread
Charles Currey Contributing Member • Posts: 867
Re: The Sony A7s - Birders' dream camera?

Alex P Scorsch wrote:

I think the Sony A7s would be the wildlife and bird photographer's dream camera. When the birds and animals are active it's usually about 6:00 am and relatively dark, especially in the rainforest were I often shoot. With the high ISO capabilities and the small apertures of long telephoto lenses this might be a great choice. One only has to decide if one wants to live with the relatively low pixel count. I think it would be worthwhile, even if adapters are in order for the "big guns".

I have read all of the replies up to the time I started typing. Of all the good discussion, nobody has mentioned the burst rate of the A7s. I don't know the exact information, but I think the burst rate with autofocus for each picture is under 2fps. For me, that would be way too slow to consistently get "the shot" of a bird flying toward the shooter or away from the shooter or diagonally toward or away from the shooter. From that point of view the A6000 would be a better choice for me even though my highest useable ISO is a rediculous sounding 6400 when compared the astronomical number achieved with the A7s.

-- hide signature --

Chuck Currey

Charles Currey's gear list:Charles Currey's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6300 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
gil
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow