Is it wrong of me to photograph people from a distance?

Started Aug 15, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
distortionist Forum Member • Posts: 53
Is it wrong of me to photograph people from a distance?

I have a Nikon Coolpix P900 and I live by the ocean.  There are boats that go by, some are fishermen on fishing boats, some are people fishing for fun, and some are people just having a good time in the ocean.

I took pictures and showed them to a friend using my crazy zoom and they got upset and told me I am invading peoples privacy and being creepy.  You can definitely identify the people if you knew them. I honestly just do it to have fun, I am not snooping and I have the ethics to not even look if I seen people doing things like sunbathing naked or whatever, and I have yet to come across anything like that.

Is what I am doing wrong? Is it wrong or creepy to take pictures like these, what about posting it on facebook? is that wrong?  I just never thought of it before my friend was upset and would like your opinion.

Thanks guys.

distortionist's gear list:distortionist's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Nikon Coolpix P900
Nikon Coolpix P900
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
1cb
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow