Normal lens for a full frame first timer: 50mm 1.4 or 35mm 1.4?

Started Apr 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
calson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,434
Re: Normal lens for a full frame first timer: 50mm 1.4 or 35mm 1.4?

It depends entirely on the photographer and what they like to photograph. Since the days of my first 35mm film camera my "normal" lens was the 105mm as it provided the picture angle I wanted and the working distance I needed with my subjects.

Wide angle lenses are the source of more bad photos than any other type of lens. If the camera is not perfectly level or if one portion of a subject (with people it will be their nose, hands, or feet) is closer to the camera with a short working distance then there will be very noticeable and unfavorable distortion.

There is an old adage that if your pictures are not strong then you need to get closer. The corollary is that you can also go to a longer lens to accomplish this. Most of the wide angle pictures I see are boring as there is too much in the frame and the reverse compression effect makes most things in the background shrink to insignificance. What people truly see with their mind's eye is quite different from the perspective provided with the camera and why so many users of P&S cameras are disappointed with the results.

calson's gear list:calson's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D850
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow