Opinions needed on 70-200: Sony FE vs. Canon 4L IS vs. Canon 4L Non-IS

Started Aug 14, 2015 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PBR Streetgang Regular Member • Posts: 303
Opinions needed on 70-200: Sony FE vs. Canon 4L IS vs. Canon 4L Non-IS

Hello All:

I'm interested in getting a 70-200mm zoom for my Sony A7 (not II, R or S). I'm having trouble parsing through the chatter on the web to get to a conclusion. I'll use the lens mainly for portraits and compressed landscapes. Not so much for action, but that capability would be a bonus. I'm interested in overall IQ (sharpness being high on the list) and AF. AF does not need to be blazing, but accurate. 135mm to 200mm is where I will mainly use this lens.

Sony FE: This is the most expensive of the three and appears to be quite weak at longer focal lengths.  See SLR Gear review, in particular.  AF is fast.

Canon 4L IS: This lens is supposed to be legendary; sharp at all apertures and focal lengths. The SLR Gear review suggests that the legend is true. The Photozone review also suggests it is very good. Check the second page of this review: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3828217#forum-post-55637952.  The FE seems better than the 4L IS in the corners, which I found surprising.  AF will be slow, better on A7RII.

Canon 4L Non-IS: Very little information on this lens, but I have seen some comments that it is better than the 4L IS. All of the available tests appear to test on crop bodies, which is useful, but not entirely. AF is slow, but does not work on A7RII (apparently).

I'd appreciate your impressions of these lenses on the Sony A7/R/S/II.  I will probably get an A7RII when the price meets my wallet, so comments on its performance will eventually be relevant to me.

Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow