FE55 or Batis 85? Inputs needed.

Started Aug 14, 2015 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
darkdirtydwarf
darkdirtydwarf Senior Member • Posts: 1,186
FE55 or Batis 85? Inputs needed.

As much as I want a A7Rii, I can't justify buying it for the time being. Additionally, I just came back from a trip to Chicago and my A7 + FE1635 already delivered more than I can desire. So now I have some cash I spared for the new body that could be invested on a lens (which is a better "investment", since bodies depreciate really fast these days).

I do have a need for something longer that has AF, in the range above 35mm and below 100mm.

Right now in this range I have, among others, a 57mm and a 85mm, both MF lenses. Both are great lenses, but I like to shoot wide open-ish most of the times. This means having a hard time with people: I can zone focus with some efforts, but I'd really love the comfort of the autofocus and especially of the eye-AF feature.

My two obvious options are FE55 and Batis 85. I like both focal lengths, but I'm not gonna buy both, at least for now (one toy at a time).

Price not being the issue, I would like to hear your opinion on why one lens should be preferred over the other. At the moment I think that the 55 would see more use (more versatile), while the 85 is stabilized, which is definitely a plus on the A7 body. Additionally, while I can zone focus with the 57mm decently, it is much harder to do with the 85mm, another point for the Batis lens.

What are you two cents? Any input is welcome.

darkdirtydwarf's gear list:darkdirtydwarf's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a7 Sony a7 III +11 more
ANSWER:
Sony a7 Sony a7R Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Rob
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Rob
Rob
Rob
Rob
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow