GimBal Head - Beike BK-45

Started Aug 12, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Antal I Kozma
Antal I Kozma Veteran Member • Posts: 3,687
GimBal Head - Beike BK-45

Hi to all,

Here is a report on a Beike Gimbal head from China.

I needed a Gimbal head for my new 500mm Nikkor lens, so I looked around. The nature of the beast is that brand name Gimbal heads are quite pricey. They are built well though, that to be given. Jobu and Wimberley are among the best and most used ones.

Given the fact that I pretty much depleted my photo budget for the year I did some search on the Chinese knock off models. The name "Beike" popped up several times as a possibly usable head. One professional British nature photographer had a positive, seemingly honest and detailed, review up on Youtube. I also need to mention that I have found a good number of negative opinions on the web as well.

My Chinese order came in under 100.00 CAD including shipping. I thought that even if it is half as decent as the British fellow indicated it still would be OK. If it would be a lemon I either could fix it or just lose my one hundred bucks.

To cut it short, it works as advertised. Not as silky as the brand name ones that run on ball bearings but very decent. It has some "dampening effect" that I do not mind at all. I put a few drops of gun lubricant in at the base and worked it in by turning the head around several times. The end result is quite satisfactory. The head rotates around smoothly, it works well with the new 500mm Nikkor lens and D810 + battery grip.

The construction feels sturdy and safe. The camera and lens combo does not feel too heavy for this head. It is rated for 12 kilos, although some sites gave a 10 kilo rating only. Regardless, it feels solid and safe.

So, if you need a budget Gimbal head you may risk a hundred bucks CAD on this. The Canadian dollar is weak now, US buyers would get it about 23% cheaper based on the value of their currency.

Best to all, AIK

-- hide signature --

AIK

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +20 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow