Banding with the Panasonic 20/1.7 Lens

Started Jul 27, 2015 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
secretworld Senior Member • Posts: 1,649
Re: Banding with the Panasonic 20/1.7 Lens

Here are my 2 cents.

I had a PM2 and have a GH3. Both cameras produce pattern noise with all lenses at very high iso's while pushing the shadows or when pushing very dark (Black) shadows to the extreme at lower iso's (but less then  the old 12mp sensor and the GH2). It depends on how black/deep the shadows are if you can see the issue. But with my 20mm and PM2 I had the same looking banding but now at iso 1600-3200 clearly visible without any pushing (and if I remember correctly the band sizes varied with aperture). But I only had this on one specific location/shoot and it ruined most of the shots.

So I would keep in mind that the banding/pattern noise is there with these sensors anyway but the 20mm can worsen it in some situations. The banding is never really an issue with other lenses in the situations I have shot except with the 20mm.

BTW the GX7 and GM1 don't have the banding any more at all, no matter how extreme I push.

And another BTW, the only software that can fix the banding I have found is Dfine2. Debanding is hidden under a small more tab.

secretworld's gear list:secretworld's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow