Speculating G1X Mark III

Started Jul 28, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rwl408 Senior Member • Posts: 1,849
Speculating G1X Mark III

G1X got updated to Mark II after two years. If Canon keeps the same product update cycle, we should see Mark III in February next year. That is only six months away and I bet the sensor for it should have been long decided. According to DPReview, Mark II has the same 1.5" 14.3MP count sensor as the original G1X although it actually uses less pixels because of cropping for aspect ratio support. However I don't see Canon use the same sensor the third time. Now Canon has a new 24MP APS-C sensor and it is possible that Canon updates the 1.5" type sensor from it to get more pixels for G1X Mark III. Another possibility is to switch to the 1" Sony sensor that are used in G7X and G3X. Personally I think the latter makes a lot of sense. For starter, it can provide IQ close to that from the 1.5" Canon sensor. For R&D, it saves resource and manpower, and ultimost product development time, because of one less sensor to deal with and a common sensor design allows the three product design teams to leverage design effort from each other further than they can now. For manufacturing, there will be less individual parts to prepare and manage and even the production process can benefit from the similarity of the three products.

Well, that is my thought. What is yours?

Canon G3 X Canon PowerShot G7 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow