Canon vs Nikon - Superior lens Variety vs great Sensor: which way to go !!

Started Jul 25, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
anu l
anu l Regular Member • Posts: 404
Canon vs Nikon - Superior lens Variety vs great Sensor: which way to go !!

I am digging into the DSLR world of Canon & Nikon & I am struck by the question:

which way to go?

I had started leaning towards Nikon for it's awesome Sony Sensors, but then I found something where Canon excels, compared to Nikon, after watching this video by Tony Northup:

Canon vs. Nikon: Why I want to switch to Nikon, but can't fully

Camera manufacturers faced a huge problem when the photography world was making a transition from Manual focusing to Automatic focussing back in the 80s

Both Nikon & Canon answered this call differently

Canon scrapped it's existing system for brand new,right from scratch EF mount for it's EOS series; while

Nikon was a bit more conservative, Nikon with it's F mount retained it's compatibility with Existing Cameras & made adjustments to the same mount to accommodate the newer electronics.

Since Nikon started from scratch, they had the liberty to be fully flexible & future proof, while Nikon was more into how to "fit in" the newer components in the existing mount.

From what I've read Nikon still has some of the mechanical Interfacing when it comes to mounts while Canon is full electronic interface, this gives Canon "more room"

What I can read from this is that Canon's system is more simplified, hence can focus more on performance & Quality when manufacturing without worrying too much about compatibility.

Nikon has a greater difficulty as it has to carry the weight from it's past, but Nikon has very well compensated for It, & does not allow this to get reflected in it's performance,(at least in the wide angle size, but as the video suggests, things are a bit different in the telephoto side)

So this approach by Nikon has resulted in it's lenses being a bit costlier compared to Nikon's equivalent.

So in the end one is again stuck in the Canon v/s Nikon Question, where to go:

Nikon thanks to it's use of Cutting Edge Sony sensors, make it the best as far as DSLR body is concerned, especially thinking about the D810, Canon is way behind here, Even the Canon 5Ds trails behind Nikon & Sony: 5DS Handed Highest DxOMark Score for a Canon, But Still Trails Nikon and Sony

Whereas Canon gives more potential & Liberty as far as choice of Lenses is concerned, Compared to Nikon.

to Make things more unfortunate, you have the fact that one can use Nikon Lenses on a Canon Body but no the Vice-versa, which is what actually needed.

see here:

Use Nikon Lenses on Canon DSLRs

The choice would be much easier to make if either:

Nikon fills in the gap in it's Lens collection or improves some of it's shortcomings in the existing Liens line-up and also makes the pricing on par with canon.

or

Canon starts making awesome Sensor which will make canon catch up with Sony Sensors, or gives up it's sensors for Sony's.

anu l's gear list:anu l's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P520
Canon EOS 5DS Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow