PPG failed to renew domain name?

Started Jul 20, 2015 | Discussions thread
pixelsmithy Contributing Member • Posts: 540
Re: PPG -- This is their problem & I let them know yesterday

MikeSul wrote:

Last night Ricoh confirmed on Twitter that they are aware of the issue and are correcting it. As several posters have commented it may take a while for the dns servers to catch up.

I contacted the Marketing department late yesterday afternoon and they were unaware of the problem but thanked me for the info. I'm a web admin and it appears that this domain name fell through the cracks when they changed from pentax.com to ricoh-usa.com email addresses. The two email addresses associated with the domain WHOIS record (yesterday) were both pentax.com email addresses and for people who (according to their LinkedIn pages) are no longer with Ricoh. GoDaddy would have sent renewal info ONLY to those email addresses.

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?domain=pentaxphotogallery.com

Other Ricoh domain names have a new ricoh-usa.com email address by someone who works for Ricoh, but it seems strange that he is one of the head guys in Sales, not an I.T. person. Ricoh doesn't seem to be using Best Practices. Anyway, I sent an email to that person with the same info that I gave to Marketing.

There are three email addresses that can be associated with a domain name:

Registrant email:
Admin email:
Tech email:

It is really a bad idea to have them all be the same email address (which is how the ricoh-usa.com domain is setup now). Registrant email should be your most Senior accounting guy. Tech email should be your Network Administrator.

Their problem is that since GoDaddy will only interact with those email addresses (which may no longer exist) they can't log-in to GoDaddy or even ask for a password reset since it would be sent to those email addresses. So it will require their email admin setting up those old email accounts again and forwarding them to someone who currently works for the company. Then they can prove to GoDaddy that they are authorized to reset the password and renew the domain.

If they'd let me work out of Denver, and they have an opening in I.T. management, I'd be interested in helping out their I.T. department. I've got 16 years experience.

-- hide signature --

Check out my (UPDATED 05-19-2015) Gallery! http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/355548730/photos/slideshow

pixelsmithy's gear list:pixelsmithy's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow