Problem converting D800 NEFs to Dngs with adobe converter

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jim Cockfield Forum Pro • Posts: 16,338
.nef files on internal drive? antivirus product?

You haven't found a solution in over 2 years, huh?

You mentioned having a problem with your old card reader until you bought a USB 3.0 model. The files you are converting are already on your physical hard drive, right?

IOW, you're not trying to read the .nef files from a card reader to do the conversion to .dng, right?

If you are trying to read them from a USB attached card reader, then a bottleneck to/from the card may be the culprit. Copy them to a folder on your internal hard drive first.

What version of Windows are you using (32 bit or 64 bit; Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8.1)?

What antivirus product are you using?

Sometmes, an antivirus product can be the culprit, where it's trying to scan all of the files you are accessing (and creating in your case, since you're writing new.dng files for each .nef file you are reading).

It could be faster to begin with because some of the files you're reading from are already in the Operating System's Disk Cache in memory, depending on your workflow (e.g. copying the files from one location to another before using the dng converter), with data in that cache being replaced by the new files you;re creating during the conversion process, slowing the conversion down because of disk i/o bottlenecks).

For better responses, I'd give more detail about your workflow, what antivirus product you're using, etc.

But, for starters, I'd make sure the .nef files are on an internal drive (versus trying to read them from a memory card to create the new .dng files); and you may also want to try disabling your antivirus scanner to see if it might be causing a problem when trying to scan the .dng files you're creating during the conversion process.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow