Well, the moment have come: Video primmer on a budget

Started Jul 11, 2015 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Martin Ocando
MOD Martin Ocando Veteran Member • Posts: 6,005
Well, the moment have come: Video primmer on a budget

I'm beginning to shoot video for my youtube channel, and eventually will need to research on post processing, including color grading. But not only for the channel, but for the upcoming project that is on the oven right now.

I only have access right now to a Panasonic G3, a G5 and a Olympus E-M10. I plan to get a new body by the end of the year, but mostly depending on the new E-M10 Mark II that is about to be unveiled soon, and if the project takes off as expected, of course.

Now, I haven't been researching yet on video, LUTs, profiles and grading, since my usage of video was restricted to what the camera produces. I compare it to shooting JPEG, and trusting the camera will take care of all the settings. Me, the RAW activist! ironic, isn't it?

Most terms are extraneous to me, so any help on that would be great. I know LUT means look up table, but what it does and how? I have no idea.

I know my cameras don't have RAW for video, but I've also read that, using a very flat profile gives you the best footage for later tweaking and grading in post. I just finished viewing a video on SpeedGrade CC, and is awesome what you can get out of it.

So, my question is, with the limited gear that I currently have, and taking into consideration that, whilst I was looking forward to use the Pannys for video and the Oly for stills, but sadly the Pannys don't offer any kind of manual control, what would you recommend that I do? Is there a website, youtube channel, blog or whatever that I could research to get a pretty good picture of the steps to take from shooting to final video, getting the most out of it?

Links to recommended camera settings, downloadable LUT files would be great as well.

I will be shooting mostly:

• Myself for the channel
  • Products reviews
  • Screen captures for tutorials
  • Interior design (hotel rooms, common areas, pools, cityscapes)
  • Industrial (maybe eventually using a drone)
  • Some landscape

So, no fast paced action nor sports.

I'm not worried for audio too much. Not having mic input on any of my cameras is a bummer, but I can fix that by using an external recorder.

For software, I have the whole CC suite, including Premiere Pro, After Effects and SpeedGrade, so I don't think I would be needing anything else. But I can be mistaken, the experts should know better.

Thanks for your help

-- hide signature --

Martin
"One of the biggest mistakes a photographer can make is to look at the real world and cling to the vain hope that next time his film will somehow bear a closer resemblance to it" - Galen Rowell

Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +10 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow