Moving to Mac - best Sony RAW conversions?

Started Jul 2, 2015 | Discussions thread
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 19,588
Re: I run boot camp windows 7pro on my mac

silentstorm wrote:

Zapirian wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Zapirian wrote:

I'm sure we were taught that they were RISC architecture at Uni, and there is a hell of a lot of articles out there stating RISC for the PowerPC motorola chip. The wiki even states that PowerPC is an acronym for 'Performance Optimization With Enhanced RISC – Performance Computing'.

I'm not saying that the PPC chips weren't RISC (they were, derived from POWER, which was derived from ROMP, which was derived from the 801), only that the all Motorola chips in Macs, the 68xxx, were CISC.

Jim

Ah, sorry. Thanks for improving my Mac knowledge, I guess (Don't really want Mac knoledge )

It is not really mac knowledge per se. It is more of a generic computer knowledge. Much like how Lenovo design their desktop or Asus design their hybrid laptop using std parts. Nothing different really, whether it is a mac design computer or HP design ones.

It actually was critically import to Mac users to know whether their Macs used 68xxx, PPC, Or Intel x86 ISAa. Apple did not shield their users from the consequences of changing ISAs, with the result that old programs often wouldn't run on new machines, and newly-written programs often wouldn't run on old machines. With the PPC->x86 transition, Apple did write some bridge software, but it was a poor substitute for buying software compiled to run natively on x86.

In both the PC and the Mac worlds, the x86->x84 transition was handled more transparently, mostly thanks to Intel.

The PC world offers much more in the way of backward compatibility. If Apple is Canon, the PC is Nikon. If you can find a 5 1/4 inch floppy reader, you can still run Zork under Win 8.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 Nikon D850 Sony Alpha a7R III +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow