Split image/ Micro Prism Focusing Screens for Nikon D700

Started Apr 4, 2009 | Discussions thread
regos
regos Regular Member • Posts: 283
Re: RIP Katz Eye

Well I have to admit since my last post I have had a very similar experience to the OP. I received the new focusing screen from focusingscreens.com, everything was included, tweezers, finger protectors and extra shims.

It has been awhile since I last installed a screen in my D700 and I had forgotten the details. Unfortunately the instructions on their website were very confusing, the pictures not really showing how to do anything, and the text in pidgin English no help at all.

I finally realized how to open the spring lock and took out the old screen. Unfortunately the shims also came out, and I found it impossible to put them back properly. In my struggles, and my worry about letting in dirt, that is what happened. Then I wound up smudging the bottom of the prism, and scratching the screen.

I have ordered a new screen and found a qualified repair place that will install it for me. Lesson learned. It can be done, I have done it successfully twice, but when it goes wrong, it goes terribly wrong.

regos's gear list:regos's gear list
Nikon Df Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow