Far better image quality than I dared hope for

Started Jun 28, 2015 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Don Hutcheson New Member • Posts: 6
Far better image quality than I dared hope for

I bought this on a whim for a 5-day hike in the Grand Canyon 3 weeks ago. It saved me about 2 pounds carry-weight and changing lenses in the desert dust. It also brought back images of California Condors and distant crags I could never have reached with my normal travel lens (EFs 15-85). I took dozens of stitched panos and shot some great 1080p footage of boats shooting Granite Rapids. Macro was an unexpected bonus. And it did all this with far better image quality than I dared hope for.

I was willing to live with mediocre IQ in return for zoom range and portability, but I have to say I'm shocked at how good this lens is! It may not be Canon L quality but it's much better than I'd hoped.

Back home, I tested it against my EF 70-300 F4-5.6 and my old Pentax 6x7 300mm F4. To my surprise, the Tamron beat the other two for resolution (even in corners), contrast and flare. There's a little chromatic aberration, but that's easily dealt with in ACR.

I used to shoot 4x5 Velvia with Schneider, Zeiss and Rodenstock glass. I have several EOS L lenses. I operated my first drum-scanner in 1969. I've designed color computers and USM algorithms. I could recite nighquist theory forty years ago. I invented G7® and led the GRACoL® 2006 team. In other words, I know what razor-sharp resolution and good color mean.

If you spend your days pixel-peeping but never actually take photos, don't buy this lens. But if, like me, you've realised that great photos are not made by lens specifications, but rather by the eye and timing of the photographer, then the Tamron 16-300mm is likely to surprise and delight you. It's ever-ready versatility will let you take photos you'd otherwise have missed. Whether they turn out great of not, is up to you.

-- hide signature --

Don Hutcheson
HutchColor, LLC
(Color Management Solutions)
New Jersey, USA
www.hutchcolor.com

Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro
Lens • Canon EF-S, Nikon F (DX), Sony/Minolta Alpha • B016
Announced: Feb 6, 2014
Don Hutcheson's score
Average community score
Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow